If you’ve been over to my Instagram lately, you’ll have noticed I have a penchant for red. Heck if you’ve been on any style blog, Instamum page or opened a fashion magazine in the past couple of months you’ll probably already know that red is THE colour to be seen in this season.
I’ve got a slight theory why red is so big this season and it’s similar to the ‘Lipstick Effect’. Basically put, when times are tough, we search for small ways to brighten them up. Roll in shades of fire engine red, juicy orange and even vibrant mustard.
It’s a defense mechanism to keep things rosy whilst we pray that Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un call a truce, house prices stop rising and flexible working finally becomes the norm. Because while we can’t change the world overnight, we certainly can change our attitude and outlook. And it’s a proven fact (according to Vogue!) that wearing bright colours can brighten your mood.
Here are three of the boldest and the brightest jumpers on the high street. Red because we all know Mondays can be hard work; jumpers because well it’s Monday and we all still want to be cosied up in our duvets. These are the next best thing.
If those don't take your fancy fear not, I've compiled a Pinterest board of many more luscious red jumpers. You'll be sure to find your perfect match.
Lolo’s tips for adding edge to your red jumper:
1) Pair with patterns – my favourite is leopard print!
2) Go tonal and wear with shades of burgundy. Perfect for those with warm skin tones.
3) Add a statement earring for an instant updater.
4) Red looks great with this season’s heritage tweeds and checks.
5) And finally, there IS a shade of red to suit everyone, I promise! If you’re a cool skin tone, go for a blue red; warm skin tones should go for orangey reds.