Hi there and welcome to my new lifestyle blog! I’m ever so happy that you’re here and reading this, so I think it’s only fair that I introduce myself. Here’s 10 things you may or may not already know about me…
1) I grew up in Florida. I can’t count the number of times people have asked ‘what are you doing here?!’. Or made a joke about how I must love the weather. I don’t think I’ll ever stop miss being able to wear flip flops throughout the year. I’m only just getting used to wearing socks 99% of the time (and I’ve been in the UK since 2004!).
2) Lolo isn't my real name, it's Lauren. My best friend started calling me it years ago and it's just kind of stuck. It also turned out my cousin's children started calling my grandmother Lolo - but she's Lois. We didn't realise it was both our nickname for years, but I love that connection.
3) The most challenging thing I’ve ever done was spend 10 days in silence. And when I say silence I don’t mean just no talking – no communicating, no reading, no writing. Just me, myself and I. I basically lived like a monk – and it was amazing.
4) I ran a bakery business for a couple years. It started as a hobby and eventually turned into a reason to leave my steady well-paid career. I even experimented in food styling and assisted on a shoot for Delicious magazine. I enjoyed it but quickly realized it wasn’t part of my bigger picture. Fortunately it was the beginning of the amazing path I’m on now.
5) I LOVE dark chocolate. I’ve been trying to cut sugar out of my diet for the past few months but this is just non-negotiable.
6) I’ve been passionate about jewellery and accessories since I can remember. Growing up, Pretty, Pretty Princess was my favourite board game – I wanted to win so I could wear all the jewels. I spent my childhood going to gem trade shows. My mom, my sister and myself all spent years working in fine jewellery (they are both GIA-certified gemologists and diamontologists). It’s in my blood.
7) I originally applied and was accepted to university as an architecture major. I love buildings and design but quickly realised the amount of mathematics involved and instead choose to study communications. I often wonder what would have been…
8) I love animals and would be quite content to live on a farm one day. I’d really like to have two house pigs, named Petunia and Pamplemousse.
9) I feel naked if my nails aren’t painted. I’m not sure when this started or came to be but now I can’t relax if my nails aren’t done. I don’t get manicures very often – instead I indulge in my ever-growing collection of dozens of polishes. I love them all but couldn’t live without Seche Vite top coat – best beauty investment ever.
10) I strive to live a stylish life and share this love of style with others. In fact it's how I pay the bills. It’s a balance between what’s on the outside and what’s on the inside. You need to get them both right in order to feeling happy, confident and comfortable with yourself.
That’s me in a nutshell! This is the beginning of my journey as a lifestyle blogger and I’m hoping you’ll stick around. If you’ve read this far, you may as well go ahead and introduce yourself as well :).